Dangerous Food for Doodles
When adopting a puppy from Crockett Doodles, you are adding a little furry family member to your home. While we highly recommend that you include your puppy in almost every aspect of your life, eating is one area where we recommend caution. We’ve compiled a list of foods that you should avoid sharing with your Crockett Doodles puppy to keep them at their healthiest and happiest!
Signs of Poisoning in a Dog
It is possible that your dog has been poisoned if he/she demonstrates some of the following symptoms:
- Leg Tremors
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Dilated pupils
- Bright red gums and mucous membranes
- Lethargy and fatigue
Alcohol and Raw Bread Dough: Dangerous for Dogs
Alcohol is extremely toxic to dogs as they have a much lower tolerance to the effects of alcohol than humans. Any type of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, and even comas and death. Some raw bread dough contains alcohol and should be monitored for the reasons listed above. Another reason to monitor bread dough is that the yeast in dough can cause intense gastrointestinal problems. Get your pet to the Veterinarian immediately if they have consumed any amount of alcohol.
Apricots: Dangerous for Dogs
Apricots (Prunus armeniaca) are a wonderful food for human consumption. In addition to great taste, apricots are rich in several vitamins and nutrients. Although they provide great nourishment for humans, apricots can be lethal to dogs because the pit, seed, stems, and leaves from the apricot plant all contain cyanide which is extremely toxic. Several vets have reported cases of cyanide poisoning in dogs that consumed apricots.
Avocado: Dangerous for Dogs
Avocados are a common household food that can cause harm to your pup. They contain a compound called Persin which causes diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. The skin, meat and especially the seed of an Avocado contain Persin and should be kept away from your dog. If they ingest a little bit of an Avocado they should be fine, but contact your Veterinarian if your dog eats more than a little bit.
Candy: Dangerous for Dogs
Candy in general can be dangerous for Doodles. Dogs can choke on candy wrappers. Candy Corn has been especially proven to poison dogs. Any type of sugar-free candy is particularly dangers because of xylitol. Xylitol is toxic to dogs. Ingestion of this popular sugar alternative does not threaten human health, but can trigger life-threatening hypoglycemia in Doodles.
Cherries: Dangerous for Dogs
Cherries are a wonderful human treat, but they are dangerous for dogs for two reasons. The first danger is that a cherry pit can cause intestinal blockages if it becomes lodged in your Doodle’s digestive tract. Secondly, because of the cyanide in a cherry’s leaves, pits, and stems. As stated previously, if a dog consumes enough cyanide, it can be potentially lethal.
Some cherries (like maraschino cherries) have removed pits, which makes them safer. The problem with maraschino cherries is all the extra sugar, which makes them sweeter, but is not healthy for your dog. In general, you should avoid cherries with your fur baby.
Chocolate and Caffeine: Dangerous for Dogs
Both of these products come from the cacao plant and contain a compound called methylxanthines. Methylxanthines cause hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and cardiac arrest. Since the dangerous compound comes from the cacao plant, the darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is to your dog. If your dog has had chocolate or caffeine, we highly recommend that you get them to the Vet as soon as possible.
Dairy Products: Dangerous for Dogs
Dairy products such as cheese and ice cream can cause diarrhea and other digestive issues in Doodles. Canines do not produce as much of the enzyme that breaks down dairy as humans do so it is best for the comfort of your pet if you avoid feeding them any dairy products.
Grapes and Raisins: Dangerous for Dogs
While it is unknown which specific compound in grapes causes harm to dogs, many Veterinarians report dogs with kidney failures due to eating large amounts of grapes or raisins. Grapes also don’t affect every single dog, but we highly recommend that you avoid feeding your pet this fruit because of the potential danger that it holds. If you notice that your dog has eaten grapes or raisins and has started showing the symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, then we suggest that you contact your Vet as soon as possible.
Gum: Dangerous for Dogs
Sugar-free gum is dangerous for dogs because it contains Xylitol.
Macadamia Nuts: Dangerous for Dogs
Macadamia nuts are particularly harmful to dogs. Just a few macadamia nuts can cause weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, a high fever and paralysis. If you suspect that your pet has eaten any macadamia nuts, you should call your Vet immediately.
Onions, Garlic and Chives: Dangerous for Dogs
Onions and Garlic are especially toxic to dogs. They cause gastrointestinal problems and negatively impact red blood cell counts in canines. Both of these issues can cause real damage to your sweet pup and you should contact your Veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your dog has eaten any of these vegetables. Symptoms do not surface immediately but include weakness and lethargy.
Raw Eggs: Dangerous for Dogs
Cooked eggs are a safe and fun food to share with your dog, however raw eggs contain an enzyme called Avadin. Avadin blocks the reception of Biotin (one of the B vitamins) which causes harm to your dog’s coat and skin.
Xylitol: Dangerous for Dogs
Xylitol is a calorie-free sugar substitute that is common in many sugar-free candies and baked goods. Xylitol is dangerous to dogs because it is proven to cause a drop in blood sugar which leads to liver failure. If your dog has eaten Xylitol, some of the symptoms are vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. We recommend that you call your Veterinarian immediately if you see any of these symptoms.